Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Temporary Road Closures

Road Closure - Friday, 1st November 2019 for approximately six weeks

On Thursday 31st October, temporary matting was installed in the field opposite Cooling Castle.

On behalf of all residents and visitors to Cooling I would like to offer grateful thanks to the landowners, Mr.  and Mrs. Holland in this regard. Already this has proved invaluable especially for those who only have a relatively short journey to make into town, it is worth the short stroll through the village.

There are quite a few concerns, however, with the progress of the works.

On Friday there was quite a flurry of activity with the delivery of plant and vegetation removal in preparation for the main project. However, by 1.30pm work stopped and everyone went home but not before completely blocking the road with machinery and bollards and failing to provide a pedestrian access, which was an essential requirement. After I made a phone call to the Senior Engineer, Mr. Palmer, a pedestrian access was cleared but no signage was installed and thereafter complete mayhem ensued.

Delivery drivers and private car owners were taking it into their own hands by moving the barriers to one side in order to drive through. This has resulted in the grass verge becoming churned up and dangerous. On many occasions the Highways Contractors were back on the scene replacing the fencing and again completely blocking pedestrian access. On one occasion I was on hand personally when a waitress at Cooling Castle Barn was dropped off at the end of the closed road and then had to negotiate the muddy verge and small embankment in her smart shoes and uniform. Not ideal and again dangerous!

The signage at either end of the Village is inadequate and confusing. I am on the receiving end of much frustration, especially from visitors who are being sent round in circles. I will have to read up on the Government’s website in regard to Chapter 8 highways requirements as I am sure that there are many shortcomings in this area.

Today I am led to believe that the Archaeology Team required on site due to the sensitive nature of the works being adjacent a ‘Scheduled Monument’ will not be turning up until Wednesday 6th November. A further delay of 5 days since the closure of the road.

Already I have been made aware of damage to a private drive where cars cannot turn on the highway. I am of the opinion that had the Parish Council and locals been involved in the initial planning operations many of these shortfalls could have been avoided.

Please watch this space.

Kevin Boyle (Chairman) Cooling Parish Council

ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION AND ADVICE

Cooling Parish Council has put together some guidance to help residents during the scheduled six-week road repairs at the junction of Cooling Court Road and Main Road, Cooling.

• Date of proposed closure is from Friday, 1st November 2019 and will be for approximately six weeks.
  • When approaching Cooling from Cliffe the road will be closed immediately after the entrance to Cooling Castle Barn.
  • Any further access into the village will be via High Halstow.
  • Temporary car parking for residents and visitors to Cooling will be provided in the field opposite Cooling Castle gates        courtesy of the landowner, and at your own risk.
  • Access to Spendiff will be via Cooling Street only.
  • Please make your suppliers aware of the temporary closure i.e. sewerage, gas, parcels, groceries, school runs etc., so they may make alternative arrangements.
  • If anyone wishes to discuss the above with the Parish Council please call in on, or contact the Chairman, Kevin Boyle at the Horseshoe & Castle public house: 01634 221691.
Temporary road closure Temporary road closure