Cooling Parish Council
History of Cooling
Cooling is a village and civil parish on the Hoo Peninsula, overlooking the North Kent Marshes.
Cooling was recorded in the Domesday Book when it was held by Bishop Odo of Bayaux (half-brother of William the Conqueror). The most notable surviving feature of the village is Cooling Castle, built on the edge of the marshes during the 12th century to defend the neighbouring port of Cliffe from the threat of French raiders.
The ruins and part of the moat can still be seen but the twin drum towers are in good preservation and the inscription in old fashioned English enamelled on copper plates can be translated as follows:
'Let the living and those as yet unborn know that I was built for the assistance of the country of which fact this is the charter and witness.'
Visit the Cooling Castle Barn website at: www.coolingcastlebarn.com
It is known that the Romans occupied Cooling by the fact that in 1922 at Redhills on East/borough Farm, a Roman kiln was unearthed. The pottery found in the kiln was from A.D. 65-120, some still being in a perfect state of preservation.
For further information on Cooling's Roman History visit: www.cliffehistory.co.uk
St James' Church
Cooling Church dates from the 12th century and until about 100 years ago had a thatched roof, some of the original pews may still be seen at the back the church, and are believed to be some of the oldest in England.
Visit the St James' Church at: www.coolingchurch.org.uk
New Barn Farm & Cooling Court
On New Barn Farm there is a piece of land called 'Brick Kiln-field' where it is believed that the bricks were made for building farm houses and barns at Cooling Court and New Barn during the 17th and 18th centuries. New Barn Farm, which was party destroyed by bombs during the 1939-45 war, but now repaired, dates from 1733. Cooling Court Farm House was built in 1705.
For further information on New Barn Farm & Cooling Court visit: www.cliffehistory.co.uk
In 1899 a Methodist Chapel was built in the part of Cooling known as Spendiff. It was used as a day school for some years prior the building of the Council School at Cooling Street in 1906.
For further information on the Methodist Chapel visit: www.cliffehistory.co.uk
Cooling Cricket Club
The cricket club formally known as the Cooling Wesleyan Cricket Club was formed just after the 1914-1918 war and their first matched were held at Cooling Court. In later years they used the ground adjoining the Three Merryboys but are now linked with the Cliffe Cricket Club.
For further information on Cooling Cricket Club visit: www.cliffehistory.co.uk
The First Parish Councillors
By 1953 the population had reached 168, sufficient to consider a Parish Council of five members, and the first councillors were elected on the 14th May 1955: